Chaminade Takes Down Rival DeSmet 1-0

Kevin Kuehl, Soccer Beat Writer

On Tuesday, October 6th, the Red Devils took on MCC rival DeSmet. The battle was a long-awaited one and was surely circled on Chaminade’s schedule. This is because last year, DeSmet knocked Chaminade out in the district finals and went on to win state. This left a sour taste in the players and coaches’ mouth that they wanted to get out.

The game started out with Chaminade coming right out of the gates firing, possessing the ball and getting opportunities on goal. Chaminade’s defense was also doing a stellar job of keeping the ball outside of the box and on the opponent’s half of the field. There were several shots and opportunities, but the first goal didn’t come until midway through the first half, when sophomore Lucas Higgins slotted the ball past the defense and onto Cole Ross’s feet, who buried the ball past the goalie.

After that goal, it seemed as if Chaminade felt invincible and continued this strong momentum all the way through the end of the first half.

At the beginning of the second half, the Red Devils came out just as strong as they did in the first half. However, about 20 minutes into the half, it became clear that the players were starting to struggle with fatigue, as DeSmet started to get some chances at the goal.  Chaminade senior Sean Green, who was playing his first game of the season at defense, stepped up and continuously batted the ball out of the Chaminade box.

In the final minutes of the game, De Smet had one last opportunity on goal.  The ball was crossed in and headed it off the post, but the ref called offside. Chaminade then kicked the ball up the field and listed to the buzzer go off. Final score: Chaminade 1 – De Smet 0.