Red Devils Shut Out Kirkwood to Win District Championship

Kevin Kuehl, Soccer Beat Writer

The Chaminade Red Devils beat Kirkwood High school 1-0 in the Class 4 District 3 championship on Tuesday in a game where the Red Devils were hungry and ready to end their one-year state playoff drought.

Kirkwood travelled to Chaminade after a huge upset against the number one seed in the district, John Burroughs, and they were feeling confident that they would end up winning this game. Both teams in high confidence and ready to win a district championship.

Once the ref blew the opening whistle, Chaminade was on fire.  The Red Devils created opportunities on net almost every single possession and consistently broke down the Kirkwood defense like it was nothing. Senior Joe Hipskand could not be matched on the wing as he took the ball past the Kirkwood defense every single time he touched the ball.

Six minutes into the game, senior Sean Green took the ball with his left foot and slotted it into the bottom left corner on a beautiful feed from Cole Ross. Those two have been a consistent duo this year and seem to always be on the same page.

While Chaminade’s offense was looking spectacular, their defense was even better. Kirkwood could not get past the back line of; Evan Browne, Quinn Braeckel, Jack Olwig, and Andrew Lane, each of which had amazing plays that kept Kirkwood from getting opportunities.

The game ended in a 1-0 victory for Chaminade and captured them a district Championship after losing to De Smet last year. This teams seems to have finally hit that stride that we all knew they were capable of this year. Chaminade will look to continue their success as they take on Eureka, Saturday, November 7th.