CCP Soccer Players Take Home Some Hardware

Kevin Kuehl, Soccer Beat Writer

The 2020 high school soccer season has officially ended. All the teams that were working hard every day competing for a state championship have finally finished off their long seasons and are officially moving on to other things. The class of 2021 has played their final high school soccer games of their lives and are looking towards the future and what lies ahead.

In what was one of the strangest seasons that we have ever seen for a high school sport, there were just as equally awesome moments and memories that were captured. Let’s not forget Jake Bisch’s free kick from twenty-five yards out that went in. Or Johnny Schlattmann’s amazing goal against Parkway South that bent into the top right corner. Or the countless times that Quinn Braeckel saved a break away and slid in and got the ball out of trouble. Oh, and let’s not forget the fact that we just went undefeated in the toughest conference in the state two years in a row now. Obviously, there were tons of other moments that are just as impressive, these are just a few that I thought of off the top of my head. With that said, it is now time do the final thing; announce the end of the year awards.

Starting off with the MCC awards, we have the All MCC first team. Coming in on the first team we have Quinn Braeckel ’21, Evan Browne ’21, Sean Green ’21, and Mick Hanon ’21. Each of these four players worked exceptionally hard this year and earned these spots. Quinn Braeckel and Evan Browne both were dominant forces on defense and lead the Red Devils to countless shutouts against good opponents, such as De Smet and SLUH. Sean Green and Mick Hanon were a dynamic duo in the middle of the field, connecting countless passes to each other and assisting goals back and forth. It was as if these two guys were thinking the exact same things, at the exact same times as each other.

Moving on to the MCC second team selections, we have Cole Ross ’21 and Joseph Hipskand ‘21. Both of these guys are fan favorites for Chaminade and are also spectacular soccer players. How I miss the chants of “Harry Hippy” coming from the Red Army or Cole Ross ripping off his jersey and waving it through the air after he gets a game winning goal. Both guys have left a lasting impact on the Chaminade program and will be remembered by the players, coaches, fans, and opponents for years to come. I would also like to take a moment to congratulate Joe on his commitment to play soccer at Washington University next year. Great accomplishment and beyond well deserved. I would also like to congratulate Jack Olwig ’20 on being named to the MCC honorable selection list. He was also a key player to that back line.

Some of the players were also able to capture awards other than conference awards. Quinn Braeckel, Sean Green, and Mick Hanon were all named to the St. Louis All Region team. The man behind the helm, Coach Vader, was named the Private School Coach of the Year. Congratulations to Coach Vader who continues to solidify his legacy at Chaminade. Finally, two players were All-State selections. Sean Green was named to the All-State first team, while Quinn Braeckel was named to the All-State second team. These two guys were absolute studs on the field this year and poured absolutely everything they had into every game. The hard work has payed off and shown as these guys are taking home numerous awards this year. Congratulations to both of you.

With that said, I would like to congratulate the entire Chaminade soccer program. With everything that has been going on this year with COVID, Chaminade was still able to put together a tremendous year and overcome adversity time and time again. Although it did not end the way that we would have all liked it to end, I think we are all just happy to say that it happened. Thank you to all the seniors for the memories that you have given us and good luck next year with college.