Your source for the latest Chaminade news. For students, by students. Since 1917.

Cardinal & White

Cardinal & White

Cardinal & White

Exam Study Tips

As exams are coming up, there are many ways for a student to prepare. A student’s grade in a class can be heavily determined by the result of their exam, which many students at Chaminade tend to disagree with. Students would prefer the final exam to be a smaller portion of the grade that shouldn’t affect it too much, because it is only one test. Even though students disagree with them, they still need to study. Teachers give tips to prepare students all the time, but for some students they just don’t click. There are still multiple ways to study that I have found–not just from teachers, but from students that have found success.

One common response to the question of how one prepares is to avoid cramming information on the last night. When you wait until the last night to study, time is against you, and you may not be able to get all of the information in that short amount of time. When spacing out studying ahead of time, you can study in smaller and more manageable increments and still retain all the information.

Another tip that students recommend is creating a plan to study for all of your classes. Analyze what classes you struggle with and give out more time to study for those classes. When you distribute your time properly all classes get an even amount of time for where you are in them. You don’t want to overstudy for a class you already know well or an easy class, and you don’t want to understudy for a class you struggle with.

Studying with other people has helped multiple students succeed. A student can get one person they share a class with, or even a group to study with. When with other people you can use multiple minds to answer questions, and you can help each other when stuck. If you are by yourself and get stuck, there isn’t a lot you can do. But with the help of others, you can work through it together.

About the Contributor
Jacob Lovings
Jacob Lovings, Staff Member