Your source for the latest Chaminade news. For students, by students. Since 1917.

Cardinal & White

Cardinal & White

Cardinal & White

The Parking Lot Battle: Weber Lot vs. North Lot

For years Chaminade sophomores, juniors, and seniors have been parking in either Weber Lot on the south side of campus behind the Skip Viragh Center or in the North Lot by the soccer field, baseball field, and the Athletictron. Generally, seniors have the “privilege” of parking in the North Lot while sophomores and juniors park in Weber. But is the North Lot truly a privilege, or is Weber Lot overlooked as the superior place to park?

The North Lot does have obvious perks. It is significantly closer to Chaminade Hall and shortens the walk to and from class. The lot is also next to nearly all of the athletic fields and the locker rooms. As a Chaminade soccer player, I have taken the long walk to Weber after many tiring practices, often with my soccer bag and my backpack as there is not enough time to drop off my bag in the far-away lot after school. Many Chaminade athletes also have morning practices, and it is much easier to change clothes and shower quickly if you have a car close by to drop off your clothes and your sports bag.

Despite these advantages, North Lot is not perfect. At the start and the end of the school day, students parking in the North Lot have to drive through the extremely long drop off/pick up line to get in or out of school. If you are already running late in the morning, getting to school on time is almost impossible if you have to sit in the line of cars to get to North Lot. In the afternoon, waiting in a long line of cars is often the last thing you want to do after a long day of school.

In contrast, Weber Lot does not have the problem of the drop off/pick up line. In the mornings, you can easily turn left and park quickly by taking the road behind the Skip, avoiding the line. In the afternoons, students turning right on Lindbergh Boulevard have an easy exit via the side road along the fence on the south side of campus. However, it is difficult to merge into the left lane to turn left onto Lindbergh when leaving from Weber. Although it does not have easy access of the North Lot to the sports fields or the locker rooms, Weber is a convenient location for anyone with after-school activities in the Skip, like art, theatre, band, etc.

Although there are advantages and disadvantages to each school parking lot, there is not a clear winner between Weber Lot and North Lot. The best parking lot choice for a Chaminade student depends on their activities. If someone is not playing a sport, is in the offseason of their sport, or has an activity in the Skip, then Weber Lot is better to avoid traffic and get in and out of school easily. If someone is playing a sport or simply wants a shorter walk from their car to class, then North Lot is the place to park.

About the Contributor
Caden Fernandez
Caden Fernandez, Staff Member