Red Devils Roll Past Marquette to 5th Quarterfinal in 6 Years

Photo by John Gronski

Owen Boyette

Chaminade’s basketball team made their return to Lindenwood Wednesday night in the sectional round of the playoffs against the Marquette Mustangs and kept the streak alive. Over the last five years, CCP is now 9-0 in playoff games played at Lindenwood University. Robert F. Hyland Arena has hosted many impressive Chaminade performances, and the Red Devil’s 74-48 victory can be added to that list. Three starters hit double figures: Damien Mayo with 18, Tarris Reed with 14, and Luke Kasubke with 12, while Harrison Vickers had 8 and Matteus Case had 9.

Once again, the super sophomore duo led the team in points; however, it was Damien Mayo’s turn to lead the team in points. He crashed the offensive boards all night and made his money getting put back buckets. Mayo hauled in 7 rebounds, 3 of which were offensive. Attacking the rim wasn’t his only strength however, the sophomore guard made three jump shots, one of which from behind the three-point line and two from the top of the key. It was his relentless rebounding effort coupled with his wise shot selection that put him in position to score.

Tarris Reed found success in the paint, as usual, but the way he scored the basketball was different. Looking for the gaps in Marquette’s defense, Chaminade’s sophomore center played a smart savvy game, totaling 14 points and had over 7 rebounds. Reed’s movement off the ball was imperative in putting himself in a position to score in the post. He utilized soft hook shots and little jump shots coming off of delicate footwork to score over the defense. Reed didn’t force the action, instead, he had solid post-ups against Marquette’s center Josh Merz, and Tarris scored the basketball off of post feeds from the perimeter.

Coming off Chaminade’s bench, junior guard, Jaden Winfield left his mark on Wednesday night’s game in a big way. As the last three seconds of the first quarter ticked away, Chaminade was on the fast break, and the ball got to Jaden’s hands, and at 1.5 seconds left on the clock, Winfield floated in the air and shot the basketball high into the air. The buzzer sounded. The ball went swoosh through the basket. Chaminade’s bench and student section went crazy as they watched a buzzer beater end the first quarter for the second game in a row. To his credit, Winfield’s production didn’t cease after that shot. He continued to put pressure on Marquette’s ballhandlers playing tremendous defense. It was his defensive effort combined with a beautiful finger roll layup that served as the cake which his buzzer beater was the icing to.

The remainder of Chaminade’s team were productive in both phases of the game. They lead 39-20 at halftime, and they were up 31 points following a 18-6 run to start the fourth quarter. CCP played well and looks forward to Saturday afternoon for their next playoff test.

Next Game: against Mehlville High School, Saturday 2:45 at Lindenwood University.

*time and conditions subject to change

seek out confirmation of time and location before attending