Your source for the latest Chaminade news. For students, by students. Since 1917.

Cardinal & White

Cardinal & White

Cardinal & White

Welcome to the Sweet Sixteen

After the first two rounds of March Madness, we have gone from sixty-eight teams to only sixteen. Our brackets have all been busted and we never expected some of the teams to make it where they did. Kentucky has been proven as frauds and is comparable to the Dallas Cowboys in the playoffs. North Carolina State is looking dangerous and all of the number one seeds are still in. Since my predictions are impeccable and I definitely had an excellent bracket, here are my predictions for the Sweet Sixteen.

East

1 UConn v. 5 San Diego St.

3 Illinois v. 2 Iowa St.

Our first game, UConn vs. San Diego St. is a rematch from last year’s March Madness National Championship. Despite popular opinion, Joe Biden’s bracket will be wrong, and UConn will fall to the Aztecs. In the second game, Illinois v. Iowa St. looks to be a close one with the number two and three seeds battling for a spot in the Elite Eight. Illinois will take the crown in this one.

West

1 North Carolina v. 4 Alabama

6 Clemson v. 2 Arizona

I will take UNC here for the sake of my article being published, as Mr. Schilly might not let it if I don’t. Also, Arizona is a better team than Clemson, as they are red hot with Caleb Love leading the charge.

South

1 Houston v. 4 Duke

11 NC State v. 2 Marquette

Houston struggled against Texas A&M, and Duke is a great team, so Houston will lose to the Blue Devils here. NC State is a dangerous team against Marquette who have had troubles in the past executing. I like the Wolf Pack

Midwest

1 Purdue v. 5 Gonzaga

3 Creighton v. 2 Tennessee

Purdue is too dangerous of a team for the Zags to overcome here. I say Zach Edey drops a double-double and dominates in this matchup. The Blue Jays versus Vols looks interesting, but Creighton will win a high-scoring battle against Tennessee. 

Elite Eight

5 San Diego St. v. 3 Illinois

Illinois is too powerful of a team for the Aztecs to slow down even after beating UConn. The Aztecs’ revenge run stops here.

1 UNC v. 2 Arizona

UNC is going to win this highly contested matchup as they have been collecting momentum over this tournament run. 

4 Duke v. 11 NC State

Unfortunately, the hot streak for NC State is going to run out and they will lose to the proper blue-blood school. Duke has to go far eventually.

1 Purdue v. 3 Creighton

Creighton has had to fight for their spot up here and will continue to claw at Purdue. Purdue still fears Fairleigh Dickinson and their inability to finish the job will catch up.

Final Four

3 Illinois v. 1 UNC

Illinois and Shannon Jr. will pull away, much to Mr. Schilly’s disappointment, and UNC will go home. Illinois will move on to the National Championship.

4 Duke v. 3 Creighton

I cannot see Duke winning this one. Duke lost to UNC and Creighton is a sleeper team to watch.

NCAA National Championship

3 Illinois v. 3 Creighton

Illinois had to deal with controversy throughout their season and eventually their inconsistency will prove to be hard to overcome Creighton. Congratulations prematurely to Creighton for winning. 

Good luck with everyone’s second-chance brackets and enjoy watching my predictions turn out correct. March Madness is the best sporting event of the year for a reason. 

About the Contributor
Zach Tracy
Zach Tracy, Staff Member